Jet2 announce massive growth at Edinburgh Airport
Jet2.com and Jet2holidays officially announced their biggest ever growth at Edinburgh Airport this morning with 12 new destinations, an additional aircraft and 500,000 seats for summer 2016. This means passengers travelling through Edinburgh will have an amazing choice of 26 Jet2 routes form next year.
This massive expansion means an additional 150,000 passengers for Edinburgh Airport.
The 12 new destinations – Antalya, Crete, Dalaman, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, Paphos, Rhodes and Tenerife plus exclusive routes Kefalonia, Larnaca, Zante and Vienna – will give Scottish passengers unrivalled choice of summer destinations.
Over half a million seats are now available for next year – a 55 per cent increase on last year. Plus the introduction of a fifth aircraft based an Edinburgh, a 737-800, means more seats will be available to seven of Edinburgh’s popular holiday spots; Alicante, Faro, Ibiza, Majorca, Malaga, Menorca and Reus.
As a result of this phenomenal growth, 150 new jobs will be created directly within Jet2.com and Jet2holidays supporting industries.
Steve Heapy, Chief Executive Officer of Jet2.com and Jet2holidays, said: “It’s certainly exciting times for us at Edinburgh Airport. We’re giving people the opportunity to jetaway with us to the Canary Islands, Greek Islands and the Eastern Mediterranean for the very first time and our exclusive routes mean people in Scotland have some fantastic new places to visit.
“This huge expansion not only shows our commitment to and investment in the area but it also gives our loyal local customers even more choice and flexibility when it comes to their holiday planning for next year. We are thrilled that even more people will be able to experience our great value holidays and award winning flights. Roll on next year.”
Gordon Dewar, Chief Executive of Edinburgh Airport, said: “We’re absolutely delighted with today’s announcement. This is great news for Scottish passengers and marks the biggest growth for an airline and holiday company at Edinburgh Airport since we became an independent company.
“Not only will we see Jet2.com and Jet2holidays nearly double their route network from Edinburgh, they’ll also increase aircraft seat capacity by 55 per cent by basing a fifth aircraft here, meaning thousands more passengers each year travelling through Edinburgh Airport.
“Excitingly we’ll see the introduction of the first service between Edinburgh and Vienna which is a particularly important destination for us to serve. Not only will it offer leisure travellers great choice for city breaks, it opens up further trade and business links between Scotland and this major European hub.
“Such extensive growth is great news for both the Scottish economy and Scottish customers and highlights our attractiveness as the airport of choice for both passengers and airlines.”
New route information:
- Vienna – twice weekly (Monday & Friday) flights start on 29 April 2016.
- Gran Canaria – weekly (Monday) flights start from 15 February 2016.
- Lanzarote – twice weekly (Thursday & Sunday) flights start from 14 February 2016.
- Tenerife – twice weekly (Tuesday & Saturday) flights start from 12 February 2016.
- Crete (Heraklion) – twice weekly (Monday & Friday) flights start on 27 May 2016.
- Kefalonia – weekly (Wednesday) flights start on 25 May 2016.
- Rhodes – weekly (Saturday) flights start on 25 June 2016.
- Zante –twice weekly (Tuesday & Saturday) flights start on 31 May 2016.
- Larnaca – weekly (Wednesday) flights start on 25 May 2016.
- Paphos – weekly (Wednesday) flights start on 22 June 2016.
- Antalya – weekly (Thursday) flights start on 23 June 2016.
- Dalaman – weekly (Friday) flights start on 24 June 2016.