Edinburgh Airport welcomes busiest ever month at a Scottish airport
- About Us
- Media Centre
- Press releases
- Edinburgh Airport welcomes busiest ever month at a Scottish airport
Published on: 11 August 2016
Edinburgh Airport has today welcomed figures showing that July 2016 was the busiest ever month at a Scottish airport.
Last month 1,332,282 passengers flew through the airport which represents a 9.6 % per cent increase on the same month last year – which was previously the busiest ever month for passengers at any Scottish airport.
This success has been amplified by analysis showing the first six months at Edinburgh Airport have seen a growth rate of over 10%, more than double that of European airports average.
Welcoming the passenger numbers, Gordon Dewar, Edinburgh Airport’s Chief Executive, said:
“We are greatly encouraged to have smashed another record at Edinburgh Airport with July being the busiest ever passenger month ever at a Scottish airport.
“While we welcome this growth it underlines the work we are doing at Edinburgh Airport to adapt and accommodate the ever increasing number of people wanting to fly in and out of Scotland’s Capital city.
“The trend of expanding international passengers continues - and with a growing proportion of inbound passengers we are helping drive tourism, economic development and additional job creation in Scotland.
“European airports’ growth for the first half of the year is at 4.9%; our growth over same six month period compared to the last year is more than double that.
“Despite our encouraging growth there is evidence of damage to the aviation business that has followed the Brexit vote - this further highlights the need to reduce Air Passenger Duty as soon as possible.
“Cutting APD will be a strong demonstration of Scotland’s international ambitions. It will send a powerful signal to the global airline market that Scotland is most definitely open for business, and would go some way to counter the negative business impact of the UK’s plans to leave the EU.”
July 2016 was the busiest ever month for a Scottish airport with 1,332,282 passengers using the airport. Previously the airport’s busiest ever month was July 2015 (1,215,889 pax) and June 2016 (1,173,953 pax).
In 2015 6 months (May – October were million passenger months). In 2016 so far there have been 4 million+ passenger months from April-July.
Vs Last year
Increase in International was mainly due to the new routes that have launched at EDI over the last year:
- easyJet’s new Stuttgart (launched in Nov 15), Vienna and Venice services (launched Feb 16) boosted passenger numbers vs July 2015.
- Ryanair’s Copenhagen service was new from November 2015. More flights operated to Barcelona, Alicante, Malta, Palma de Mallorca and Krakow, boosting passenger numbers compared to June 2015
- Last July Vueling only operated services to Barcelona, in July 2016 they also operated services to Rome Fiumicino which launched on 29 March (3 per week), Paris Orly which launched on 12 March 4 per week and Alicante which launched on 16 June 3 per week
New routes launched this year, and thus improving international passenger numbers on July 2015 include:
- Stobartair Shannon 16 March 6 per week
- Transavia Paris Orly 22 April 4 per week
- Finnair Helsinki on 18 April up to 5 per week
- Jet2.com Tenerife 12 February 3 per week
- Jet2.com Gran Canaria 15 February 1 per week
- Jet2.com Lanzarote 14 February 1 per week
- Jet2.com Vienna on 29 April 2 per week
- Jet2.com Heraklion on 27 May 2 per week
- Jet2.com Kefalonia on 25 May 1 per week
- Jet2.com Larnaca on 25 May 1 per week
- Jet2.com Paphos on 25 June 1 per week
- Jet2.com Rhodes on 25 June 1 per week
- Jet2.com Dalaman on 24 June 1 per week
ACI Report that Europe wide airport growth at 4.9% for the whole of Europe over H1 (first six months) 2016.
H1 2016 pax (Edinburgh)
H1 2015 Pax (Edinburgh)
Edinburgh Airport’s 10.998% (11%) is therefore more than double the average growth rate in Europe.