August passenger figures: 12 per cent growth from same month last year
- About Us
- Media Centre
- Press releases
- August passenger figures: 12 per cent growth from same month last year
Published on: 12 September 2016
Edinburgh Airport has today welcomed figures showing that August 2016 saw 1,296,189 passengers passing through the airport.
This represents an 11.9 per cent increase on the same month last year with growth in both international (18.4%) and domestic passengers (2.1%).
Welcoming these numbers, Gordon Dewar, Edinburgh Airport’s Chief Executive, said:
“The success of this year’s Edinburgh Festival Fringe - with tickets issued up nearly 8% on 2015 - gives a strong indication of the growing draw of Edinburgh.
“This summer at Edinburgh Airport we have welcomed more people into Scotland than ever before and people at home have better direct links with the rest of the world, this is great news for inbound tourism, the Scottish economy and jobs.
“This underlines the ongoing work we are doing at Edinburgh Airport to adapt and accommodate the ever increasing number of people wanting to fly in and out of Edinburgh.
“We are currently holding a public consultation on an Airspace Change Project and seeking views on the potential impact of altering flight paths above Edinburgh and the surrounding areas to allow for maximum operational benefits and to minimise community impact.
“Last week, following the well-publicised loss of some data for which we apologised, we have extend the consultation by an additional week; and I encourage as many people in Edinburgh, West Lothian, Fife, Falkirk and beyond to give us their feedback before the consultation closes on September 19.”
1,296,189 passengers passed through Edinburgh Airport in August 2016 making it the second busiest month ever at EDI (July 2016 being the busiest ever month). August is the fifth month in 2016 where passenger numbers have exceeded one million (April – August).
Vs Last year
The increase in International traffic was due to the new routes that have launched at EDI over the last year:
- Jet2 launched 11 new routes from Edinburgh in 2016 including Kefalonia, Rhodes, Larnaca, Zakynthos and Vienna
- Aer Lingus Launched Shannon service in March 2016
- In August 2915 Vueling only operated services to Barcelona, in August 2016 they also operated services to Rome Fiumicino, Paris Orly and Alicante.
- Transavia launched Paris Orly in April 2016
- Finnair Launched Helsinki in April 2016
- Wow Air launched a twice weekly service to Reykjavik in July 2016
- easyJet’s new Stuttgart (launched in Nov 15), Vienna and Venice services (launched Feb 16) boosted passenger numbers vs August 2015.
- Ryanair’s Copenhagen service was new from November 2015.
- Delta now flies to JFK daily. Last August we only had three flights per day to NYC (2x EWR with United and 1x JFK with American Airlines) instead of the 4 per day we had this August.