February passenger numbers: 30.4 per cent international growth
Edinburgh Airport has today announced February’s passenger numbers showing 770,265 people passed through the airport last month, making it the busiest February ever.
In terms of international passenger numbers this represents a 30.4 per cent increase from February last year.
Welcoming February’s passenger figures Gordon Dewar, Edinburgh Airport’s Chief Executive, said:
“February’s passenger numbers have broken another monthly record and act as further indication of just how big Edinburgh Airport’s global ambitions are.
“We have seen a massive increase of 30.4 per cent in the number of international passengers and this highlights the growing draw of Edinburgh as a prime global destination. And as we grow we deliver greater international links for this city and for Scotland.
“Edinburgh Airport and our partner airlines are continuing to offer greater choice with more routes and more destinations – and passengers are responding by flying in and out of Edinburgh directly in greater numbers than ever before.
“People ask me how much more Edinburgh Airport can grow in a country with little over five million people; it is not the five million I am worried about - but how the other seven billion across the globe get to visit us.”
% Chg on last year
Increase in International passengers was due largely to the following;
- Ryanair – flights to Dublin had higher seat factors than last year. Copenhagen service was new in November 2015.
- Services to Santander and Hahn operated as summer only routes last year, this winter they were full year services.
- easyJet’s new Stuttgart (launched in Nov 15), Vienna and Venice services (launched Feb 16) boosted passenger numbers. More passengers travelled to Amsterdam, Madrid, Prague, Basel and Geneva.
- Last February Qatar Airways operated Edinburgh- Doha 5 times a week, it now flies daily.
- Etihad did not operate in February 2015, it is flying 5 times per week this winter.
- New routes launched since last year which boosted passenger numbers include Iberia Express to Madrid, Norwegian to Malaga and Tenerife and Etihad’s service to Abu Dhabi.
- Jet2.com launched Tenerife, Gran Canaria and Lanzarote in February. These are all new from Jet2 from Edinburgh and are the first of the 12 new routes they launch from EDI this year.